Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Hope of More Than Things


Hope always seemed to me like a pretty loose term. I hoped for this or I would hope for that. I never really understood how wonderful hope really is until recently. Some of the best things I ever hoped for are nothing compared to the hope in Christ I have found.

I remember when I was younger I would hope for a certain toy for my birthday or for a raise in my allowance. It was fun to hope for things and to dream of how great it would be when I got whatever it was I wanted. Hope can be entertaining and exciting, but it can also be devastating when our hopes fall through. At least that is how it usually was for me when I didn't get what I was hoping for.

People often say "don't get your hopes up." I always said "why not?" It's my hope and I can do whatever I want with it. Regardless, hopes can be deflated no matter how confident I may have been in them; maybe I didn't get the doll I wanted or I didn't get a raise in my allowance like I expected.
 
There are a lot of things out in the world to hope for. A new car, a better job, the perfect birthday present etc... I've recently discovered hope for things often isn't worth it, or isn't worth the ups and downs that can come with it. I still think hoping for things is just fine, but I've discovered a deeper hope of more than just things. I've discovered a greater hope in the Lord. Our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ can be trusted with our hopes; after all the only way they can bring them is up. We can safely 'get our hopes up' when it comes to hope in Christ...

"The Lord also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the Lord will be the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel."
 
                                              - Joel 3:16

The Lord has promised us that we can trust Him. We can let our hopes rest on Him; after all who better to put our hope on than the Lord? It helps me to remember the promise as stated above "the Lord will be the hope of his people."

No comments:

Post a Comment