Friday, March 15, 2013

The Patient Moment

I recently came across a quote from Elder Jacob de Jager; it hit me very strongly. He said. "Patience is learning to hide your impatience."*  At first I thought well that isn't really patience - it's just pretending to be patient. The more I thought about it the more I realized that it is what leads to patience...

Preach My Gospel, a book we study from as missionaries, defines patience as, "the capacity to endure delay, trouble, opposition, or suffering without becoming angry, frustrated, or anxious."**  I've often found the best way for me to become patient in a difficult situation is to just pretend that it isn't getting to me, then soon it becomes true. If it is a situation with another person, I try to take a moment, see things from their point of view, look for the best, and try to understand and have that desired patience. However, I've discovered - I do not allow myself the same courtesy. 

I am far from a patient person when it comes to myself and the mistakes I make. I'm trying to learn about patience and be more understanding of myself as I am of others. I think this can be a common problem among most of us - we are hardest on ourselves. 

Jesus Christ has commanded, "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." ***  I think that can work both ways - love yourself as you do others...

Another quote from Preach my Gospel says, "You must be patient with all people, yourself included, as you work to overcome faults and weaknesses." Just as I have worked patiently to help others to improve themselves I should work kindly and patiently with myself.

The Savior is our perfect example of patience, I'm trying to be more like Him; I know that even in the moments when I am impatient with myself - He is being patient with me. From this point forward I have decided to remember to take a moment of patience whenever I am frustrated with myself. It's new and I'm still working on it, but I would like to invite you to also remember that you deserve patience just as much as your neighbor. 



*Ensign, May 1983, page 76
**Preach My Gospel Page 120
*** Mark 12:31

No comments:

Post a Comment